Map of LESVOS
Map of Lesvos
Refugee Camps on Lesvos
Moria: 8.5 km north of the Mytilene, the capital. Kara Tepe: 5 km. south of Moria. Pikpa: 2.2 km south of Mytilene
- The following organizations have offices in Mytilene, the capital: HIAS, Drop in the Ocean, Mosaic.
- Light without Borders is located in a secure office on the perimeter of Moria Camp. Refugee for Refugees operates a warehouse near Moria Camp.
- One Happy Family Community Center is located 4.9 km. north of Mytilene, a 10-minute walk from Kara Tepe camp. Doc Mobile and Sport for Refugees offer refugee support and activities at this center.
- Lesvos Solidarity manages Pikpa camp.
- Starfish Foundation is headquartered on the northern coast of the island in Molyvos but much of the work that a volunteer would be doing will take place in Mitilene.
Summary of NGOs’ requested time commitments
10 days minimum
There are three NGOs that accept volunteers for a minimum of 10 days. They are A Drop in the Ocean, Showers for Sisters and Refugee for Refugees. Volunteers interested in short term volunteer assignments can submit their applications on line for these positions.
1 month minimum
Sport for Refugees requires a one-month commitment and is interested in flexible RPCVs with an interest in sports. Volunteers can submit their applications on line.
HIAS also requires a one-month commitment but prefers a volunteer that can stay longer. They do not have an on-line process and they are looking for a specific skill set.
Light without Borders will accept an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist for one month but prefers longer for the other positions. There is no on-line application process. Interested individuals will need to send a resume to the organization.
2 months minimum, preferably 3 months
One Happy Family, Lesvos Solidarity, Doc Mobile and Light Without Borders will accept volunteers for two months but their preference is for volunteers that can stay for 3 months. One Happy Family and Lesvos Solidarity both have online applications. The other two require a cover letter and resume be sent to their email addresses.
A Drop in the Ocean is also seeking volunteers with a longer time frame for positions on the management team. Assistance with housing is a possibility for people that stay for a longer period.
3 months minimum
Starfish Foundation requests a volunteer with special skills. Interested individuals must send a letter of interest which includes a commitment to 3 months of service and a resume to the Founder and Director of the organization.